Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Drawing in a Dust Storm


For the past couple of weeks I have been unable to spend much time in my studio due to an unexpected, but wonderful, home re-location. My only creative outlet, in between packing and cleaning, was personalizing birthday cards for family members - a glue stick and pair of scissors were my friends! 
This made me think a lot about how art-making is so essential to my sense of well-being, and about the times in the past that drawing has helped me to engage with the world around me.

Seven years ago I went to Burning Man for the first time and I was very anxious about whether I would enjoy being in the desert with thousands of strangers for a week. With the help of a skilled and resourceful friend I built myself an Art Cart - essentially a box containing all my equipment for drawing which could be pulled around by bicycle. This gave me way of being there on my own terms.

Here are some old photos of me being so absorbed in my drawing that I didn't notice an approaching dust storm:





I have been missing that feeling of total absorption and I am very excited about being in the studio again next week. More postings of current work to come! 



No comments:

Post a Comment